2016年6月2日星期四

My Sewing Story

What made me start to sew?
A question I've been asked many times. I would say I am always a sewer, or at least always have the passion to DIY. I knew how to use needle since probably primary school. And I clearly remembered we had a sewing class in Junior high, as half of the class learn hand sew and the rest half go machine sewing, and at the mid term we exchange. I was put in the hand sew group first, but we never really go that far as a girl hurt her finger in the machine sewing class, so the school stopped the class. I do remember learnt some basic stitches in the class, and it is quite fun.
But I never really make anything big (as a really piece of clothes that can wear to go outside) before my daughter. In the recent two years after she's born, I've been averaging at least 5-8 pieces of clothes every month. Recently I make 2 pieces every week!
How did it start???
well two reasons. First is the occasion. I remember the very first dress I made for her is for the July 4th event held at Singapore American School. It's a quite big celebration for all Americans in Singapore. We attend every year, great music, food, firework and play house for the kids. However, it's outdoor. B was 2 months old at that time and since here's so hot, I seldom really take her "out", we stay in air conditioned places all the time. So I realise she didn't have a proper little Ms American dress to wear for the weather and I don't know where I can get them. 
So first I thought okay, I'll just make her a patriotism hair bow for the day and let her wear something casual. I did make the hair bow. It looks nice. Then I started recalling all the cute little boys and girls I met at the event, they are all in their cute little July the 4th theme clothes. 
So, one night I teared one of my sick white skirt, and started making her her own July the 4th dress. 
I used the leftover ribbon from the hair bow to decorate the dress, so it's turn out to be alright.

After this occasion I started, not making dress, but ordering quite a big package from Amazon...making sure next year my daughter will have a July the 4th dress! 
But then you know, when you have a girl, you just remembered those dress up doll games you played at childhood... That's what happened to me. But what hurts me is the price of cute little girl outfits here in Singapore. As one of the most expensive cities in the world, Singapore's making sure the kid's clothes price matches the title. I didn't really realise since my mother-in-law always ships a package of clothes and toys for my son, so I didn't really shop for any kind of kid's clothes. But when I started looking for dresses, the number scared me. They are the same brands as in the States, but cost 3 or 4 times more. Something you can easily get at Walmart or Target for cheap, here they exhibited nicely in department stores with premium price.
I can't live with it. So somehow my instinct just start working, and I started hand sewing for B.
Many were surprised as I still have time to do this while looking after a newborn by myself. I have to say I had blues after having E, but may because of sewing I didn't have any depression after having B! I can still remember those quite and lovely moments when B was taking a nap in her little cradle in my room, and I was there listening to music with a piece of beautiful pattern in my hand.







summer dress I made for B's 100 Day.






B's wearing the dress at the beach of Langkawi, Malaysia.



This one she wear until 2 years old.


Long sleeve with butterfly detail. Made for US trip.



Favoriate! She wore it a lot.

After hand sew for a while, probably when B was one year old, my dad came visit and brought me a simple sewing machine. To be honest at the beginning I was quite refusing using the machine, since it changed all the quite and peace time for sewing. It has to make some noise and I couldn't do it during napping anymore.
But soon I started being obsessed with the machine. It is so fast! I can finish a dress in hours now.


My first machine work. Made with Japanese silk.

Then it comes my birthday, husband bought me a fancy embroidery sewing machine. It was a big big surprise and I couldn't believe it. He did quite a few research and bought me the perfect one. He even taught me how to use it, how funny!
At the beginning I used embroidery a lot, so he added the software which can turn any picture into embroidery. Then I started to use the sewing function, must say it is quite easy and nice to use. From that moment on, I finished almost all the work on it.
I still can't say I mastered the machine. There are still half of the stitches and embroidery patterns I never used. But I just really love sewing now. For these two years it has become my biggest hobby.

没有评论:

发表评论